- Title: Tourist say life continues, after deadly Barcelona attack
- Date: 22nd August 2017
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (AUGUST 21, 2017) (REUTERS) BARCELONA BEACH PEOPLE ON BARCELONA BEACH WOMEN SWIMMING VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ON BEACH (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) TOURIST, ALINA DERESZEWSKA, SAYING: "I think we all stick together because we don't know where it can happen again and when it happens so close. Some friends of mine went to London and it happened in London, others in Manchester. So the world has changed in a way that we cannot travel calmly anymore, enjoying our trips." (SOUNDBITE) (English) RESIDENT, REMY FRANKEN, SAYING: "It is really terrible, but all our lives they continue, and also mine, so I think sometimes about it and I do care when I am in places where there are a lot of tourists or where places are very busy. But still I also need to go there, so I continue going there." (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURIST, CHARLIE JANSSEN, SAYING: "I think most people aren't afraid here anymore and it is the goal of the terrorists to put fear in us. But I think most of the people will continue and I really hope that the tourism won't be affected so much by it. Let's hope for the best here." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ON THE BEACH
- Embargoed: 5th September 2017 15:06
- Keywords: Barcelona attack Las Ramblas promenade Islamic militants tourists
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA0016V8OQIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:People visiting tourist hotspot Barcelona said on Tuesday (August 22) that despite having concerns about security, they would continue to travel and live their lives.
Last Thursday (August 17), a van careered along the packed Las Ramblas boulevard in central Barcelona, leaving a trail of 13 dead and 120 injured from 34 countries.
Police on Monday (August 21) shot dead 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub, who they had identified as the driver of the van and earlier on Tuesday, four men accused of being members of an Islamist cell behind the van attack appeared in court.
Walking by Barcelona beach, visitor Alina Dereszewska said this was her third visit to Barcelona but that it would be a while before she would return.
Dutchman Remy Franken, who has lived in the city for one year, said although he thinks about security, he continues to go to places determined to get on with his life.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None