- Title: Venezuela's top prosecutor has left Colombia for Brazil
- Date: 22nd August 2017
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (FILE) (REUTERS) SECURITY FORCES OUTSIDE VENEZUELA'S PUBLIC MINISTRY SIGN ON THE PUBLIC MINISTRY VARIOUS OF FORMER CHIEF PROSECUTOR, LUISA ORTEGA, MEETING WITH PROSECUTORS VARIOUS OF ORTEGA OUTSIDE THE SUPREME COURT VARIOUS OF ORTEGA SPEAKING AT AN EVENT ORTEGA FINISHING REMARKS AND PEOPLE APPLAUDING
- Embargoed: 5th September 2017 19:32
- Keywords: Venezuela's former top prosecutor Luisa Ortega Colombia Venezuela Brazil migration authorities Nicolas Maduro
- Location: INTERNET / CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: INTERNET / CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0036V8PGLJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Venezuela's top prosecutor Luisa Ortega, who fled the socialist country last week, has left Colombia for Brazil, Colombia's migration agency said on Tuesday (August 22).
"Today the attorney general of Venezuela, Luisa Ortega Diaz, left en route to Brazil," the agency said in a statement.
Ortega, who has become a vocal opponent of Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro's unpopular government in recent months, arrived in Colombia on Friday with her legislator husband, saying she feared for her life. Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos said on Monday he would grant Ortega asylum if she requested it.
Venezuela fired Ortega during the first session of a legislative super body loyal to President Nicolas Maduro early this month, but she and some governments in the region have refused to accept decisions made by the new constituent assembly.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None