- Title: The Tick relaunches as a live action TV show
- Date: 23rd August 2017
- Summary: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - JULY 21, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR, PETER SERAFINOWICZ, SAYING: "It's set in the real world where superheroes exist. I'm also a superhero but even the superheroes think I'm weird, do you know what I mean? So, it's kind of fun to be in this world and be sort of like a cartoon character in a very real world and that's fun to play."
- Embargoed: 6th September 2017 17:07
- Keywords: The Tick superhero comedy Peter Serafinowicz Griffin Newman San Diego Comic Con television adaptation
- Location: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- City: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Television
- Reuters ID: LVA0046VDLLCD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Eccentric superhero 'The Tick' is making a return to television screens on Friday (August 25) in his third outing in three decades.
The superhero story, which was originally created by Ben Edlund in 1986, was a staple Saturday morning cartoon show during the 1990s and followed the adventures of the invulnerable yet eccentric blue superhero with antennae and his sidekick Arthur.
Now, on Amazon Prime, the show has been reinvented with Peter Serafinowicz as the titular Tick and Griffin Newman as the bumbling wannabe superhero Arthur.
"I think we have some really fun big cartoonish superhero action in this show, the likes of which I've not seen in other superhero stuff," Newman told Reuters while promoting the series at San Diego Comic-Con. "It tends to be more grounded and practical and dirty and all of that but I think the hope is we can add a bit more depth and human nuance into it. It's not just live action versus animation because animation is certainly capable of doing that but it's the fact we're not a Saturday morning kids show, that we're not boxed into that in terms of 'Oh you can't do that on this type of show'. Amazon really gave us free reign to make the weirdest, fullest, Tick-iest show possible."
Although Serafinowicz says the television is based "in the real world where superheroes exist", his co-star described the series as "a weird show" in which the not-so-dynamic duo fight incompetently against strange villains like Ramses IV, Ms. Lint, The Terror and Overkill, while encountering respected superheroes like Superian.
"It was very unusual filming it," Serafinowicz admitted. "It was like being in the most extreme Japanese game show that even they haven't even thought of that went on for 6 months. It was kind of crazy. I don't really know who I am anymore. Who am I? Seriously?"
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None