- Title: Germany's FDP mocks Merkel-Schulz TV debate
- Date: 4th September 2017
- Summary: ABENSBERG, GERMANY (SEPTEMBER 4, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FREE DEMOCRATS (FDP) LEADER CHRISTIAN LINDNER ARRIVING AT CAMPAIGN RALLY AND DRINKING BAVARIAN BEER VARIOUS OF LEDERHOSEN-CLAD BAVARIAN BRASS BAND PLAYING
- Embargoed: 18th September 2017 11:56
- Keywords: campaign FDP Lindner Gillamoos Merkel Schulz TV debate
- Location: ABENSBERG, GERMANY
- City: ABENSBERG, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016X6IYBR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The leader of Germany's Free Democrats (FDP) accused Chancellor Angela Merkel and her challenger Martin Schulz on Monday (September 4) of avoiding confrontation in order to continue their grand coalition government after the general election later this month.
Speaking at the traditional Gillamoos fair in Bavaria, Christian Lindner asked supporters whether they had counted how many times the two top candidates thanked each other in Sunday's TV debate.
Lindner said it was not a debate but a "duet" and that "we could have lived without it."
The business-friendly FDP was the junior partner in Chancellor Angela Merkel's 2009-13 conservative-led coalition but failed to clear the 5 percent threshold to win seats in the current lower house Bundestag.
Recent polls say the FDP may count on between 7 and 10 percent in the Sept. 24 general election.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.