- Title: Lebanon identifies soldiers killed in Islamic State captivity
- Date: 6th September 2017
- Summary: BEIRUT, LEBANON (FILE - AUGUST 28, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RELATIVES OF LEBANESE SOLDIERS CRYING ON DAY THEY WERE FIRST FEARED DEAD RAS BAALBEK, LEBANON (FILE - AUGUST 28, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF LEBANESE SOLDIER AT STANDING GUARD LEBANESE-SYRIAN BORDER, PREVIOUSLY CONTROLLED BY ISLAMIC STATE (IS) MILITANTS HILLS ON BORDER ARMY VEHICLES DRIVING AT LEBANESE-SYRIAN BORDER VARIOUS OF HOUSES PREVIOUSLY USED BY IS MILITANTS LEBANESE SOLDIERS WALKING UP HILL AT LEBANESE-SYRIAN BORDER ARSAL, LEBANON (FILE - AUGUST 4, 2014) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SMOKE COMING OUT FROM ARSAL MOUNTAINS LEBANESE ARMY VEHICLE PASSING BY VARIOUS OF LEBANESE ARMY TANK VARIOUS OF ARMY VEHICLES DRIVING THROUGH MOUNTAINS
- Embargoed: 20th September 2017 16:20
- Keywords: IS militants Lebanese army captured soldiers in Lebanon relatives of captured soldiers Islamic State
- Location: BEIRUT, RAS BAALBEK AND ARSAL, LEBANON
- City: BEIRUT, RAS BAALBEK AND ARSAL, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0026XGMD6V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Lebanon has identified the bodies of 10 of its soldiers found along the Syrian border in a zone taken back from Islamic State last week, state news agency NNA said on Wednesday (September 6).
Islamic State had held territory along the border for years, and took Lebanese troops captive in 2014 when they briefly overran the town of Arsal with other militants, one of the worst spillovers of the Syrian conflict into Lebanon.
Lebanese Justice Minister Salim Jrayssati said a military court would look into whether any civil or military authorities played a role in their capture. President Michel Aoun called for an investigation last week.
At a conference on Wednesday, the families of the soldiers demanded an inquiry to punish anyone who led to the deaths during the fighting and negotiations since 2014.
For three years, they had protested in the streets and met with many government officials to find out the fate of their relatives.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None