- Title: U.S. Senate passes disaster aid, govt. funding, higher debt ceiling
- Date: 7th September 2017
- Summary: HOUSTON, TEXAS, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 30, 2017) (REUTERS) AERIAL SHOT OF FLOODED NEIGHBORHOOD AERIAL SHOT OF HOUSTON SKYLINE WITH FLOODING HOUSE PARTIALLY SUBMERGED IN FLOOD WATER SIGN READING (English): "HIGH WATER AHEAD" RESCUE WORKERS GETTING OUT OF BOAT, WALKING TOWARD FLOODED HOUSE PAN SHOT MAN STANDING INSIDE FLOODED HOUSE PAN OF FLOODED LIVING ROOM MAN WALKING THROUGH FLOODED GARAGE MAN BEING HELPED INTO BOAT
- Embargoed: 21st September 2017 23:01
- Keywords: Senate vote disaster aid. Hurricane Harvey federal government borrowing limit
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., HOUSTON, TEXAS, UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., HOUSTON, TEXAS, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Lawmaking,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0046XLNMTJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The U.S. Senate on Thursday (September 7) approved $15.25 billion in aid for areas affected by Hurricane Harvey and other natural disasters, along with measures that would fund the federal government and raise its borrowing limit through Dec. 8.
The 80-17 Senate vote came after the House of Representatives on Wednesday (September 6) approved roughly $8 billion in disaster relief. The legislation will now return to the House, which is expected to vote on the revised package by the end of the week.
President Donald Trump met with congressional leaders on Wednesday to work out a deal to attach short-term, three-month measures in the Senate to fund the federal government at current levels and raise its borrowing limit, known as the debt ceiling.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None